[slider id=’1407′ name=’Crunchy Chocolate Granola’ size=’full’]
Crunchy Chocolate Granola
A Crunchy and Chocolatey Granola that takes on many delightful disguises. This recipe does use a lot of ingredients and it take some time to make, but they are easy steps and oh boy, it’s well worth it. This recipe makes enough for a family of four for up to three months. So you only have to make it 4 times a year. Bonus! It keeps in glass jars perfectly well in the pantry. If there are only two of you, you may want to halve the ingredients.
Write a review
- 500g almonds (8-12hrs)
- 200g pecans (2-6 hrs)
- 200g macadamias
- 400g cashews (2-3)
- 400g Brazil nuts
- 250g butter (if you have no problems with dairy or are LCHF/Primal) or coconut oil
- 250g coconut oil
- 200g honey
- 80g cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla paste
- 1 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Teaspoon allspice
- Half-teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 100g chia seeds
- 200g goji berries
- 200g pepitas (8-12 hrs)
- 200g Sesame seeds (8hrs)
- 100g linseeds
- 250g organic shredded coconut
- Peel from six Oranges, finely grated and dried
- Activate the nuts and seeds according to soaking times above. I put the almonds and pepitas* in soak the night before, and then pop the rest in over the morning. Once soaked give them a good rinse and mix them up equally. (I use two large bowls.)
- Line three large baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Once the nuts are mixed, place nuts in batches into a food processor and pulse on high until they resemble oats.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil gently in a pan or in the Thermomix bowl. (Two mins 80 degrees number 1.)
- Add the extra coconut oil and honey and stir until combined.
- (Mix for one minute 55 degrees at 1.5 speed)
- Then add the spices and the cacao powder
- Pour mixture over the nuts and mix until all nuts are coated thoroughly.
- Spread on trays and out in oven 100 degrees overnight
- Cooking time between 10 and 14 hours depending on oven.
- I use a big flat spatula to turn over the granola during cooking time to make sure it is evenly baked.
- The next stage is done in two big bowls:.
- Add the chia, pepita and sesame seeds, linseeds, goji berries and coconut.
- This next stage is optional, and I added this stage at Christmas and loved it.
- Grate or cut into fine strips the peel from 6 large organic oranges. Make sure you wash them first. Now the oven is empty you can scatter them across a large baking tray and let dry out on 100˚ and cool completely before mixing them through the granola. This normally takes about 30 mins depending on your oven.
- *Remember to soak these separately and they will need to dry, as these are stirred in at the end.
- I use cinnamon bark and grind it in a coffee grinder.