Australia Day Pork and Herb Sausage Rolls With Pete Evans Pastry
When all else fails and nothing else will do, enjoy this old fashioned, delectable, melt in the mouth sausage roll, just like the ones your mum use to make!
Write a review
- 500g Organic Minced Pork
- 1 Small Onion (diced really small)
- Dried Herbs - I like to use Sage and Parsley.
- Salt & Pepper
Pete Evans Pastry - From Family Food: Pg. 147 - Main Meals - Lamb Shank Pie
- 100g (1cup) Almond Meal
- 100g (3/4 cup) Coconut Flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) Tapioca Flour
- 3/4 tea spoon Himalayan Salt
- 250ml (1 Cup) Chilled lard or Coconut Oil - *(I use Pure Organic Butter)
- 2 Organic Eggs
To make the pastry
- Combine the almond meal, coconut flour, tapioca flour and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Chop the fat you are using into small dice and work the flour with your fingertips until it resembles a fine crumb-like-texture.
- If using coconut oil, place the floors and oil in a food processor and pulse to form fine bread crumbs, then transfer into a bowl.
- Add the salt and the eggs to the crumb mixture and mix or pulse (if using a processor) until you form a soft, sticky dough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface (I use more Tapioca - Mel) and knead slightly until smooth, shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours, or until firm enough to roll out.
To make the sausage meat
- Place sausage meat in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- Chop the onion into fine pieces and add into the mixture.
- Add the herbs you are using.
- Using your hands, mix the meat mixture well until all ingredients are combined.
- Set aside until the pastry is ready to roll.
When everything is ready
- Roll out the pastry, I also use two pieces of parchment paper so it doesn't stick. I cut out two long rectangle shapes, I then wet around the edges so it sticks together. I use almond milk, you can use any milk, or egg wash or water.
- *This pastry is the best, I never tell anyone that it's not the real deal and no one yet has ever asked!
- It's the bomb and one recipe I'll never stop using, and why would I when its perfect! However, I do use pure grass-fed organic butter for this recipe, but you can choose your fat.