Recently, whilst buying some shredded coconut in a well known supermarket, I just checked the ingredients as I always do for a bag of shredded coconut. It said; shredded coconut, E220. Hmm, sounds sus, so I got Bendy to look it up, especially the ‘E’ number. As there were only two ingredients, I wanted to know how much of this E220 would be in and on my product that I was going to eat.
Wikipedia says – E220 – The E number code for sulfur dioxide, a preservative for dried fruits. So what was sulfur dioxide? –
Sulfur dioxide (also sulphur dioxide) is the chemical compound with the formula SO.
At standard atmosphere, it is a toxic gas with a pungent, irritating smell. The triple point is 197.69 K and 1.67 kPa. It is released naturally by volcanic activity.
Sulfur dioxide was used by the Romans in winemaking when they discovered that burning sulfur candles inside empty wine vessels kept them fresh and free from vinegar smell.
Not sure if I want to eat a gas that comes from a volcano, so next question…
Is it harmful? Answer – Well I found mixed messages from many different sites, but the overall comments in relation to E220 being harmful was that sulphur dioxide reacts with a wide range of substances found in food, including various essential vitamins, minerals, enzymes and essential fatty acids. Adverse reactions: bronchial problems particularly in those prone to asthma, hypotension (low blood pressure), flushing tingling sensations or anaphylactic shock. International Labour Organisation says to avoid E220 if you suffer from conjunctivitis, bronchitis, emphysema, bronchial asthma, or cardiovascular disease.
I normally use Absolute Organics, as the ingredients are just shredded coconut. Just remember guys, you are what you eat, and with so many autoimmune illnesses and other nasty things happening to our bodies, just keep it as natural as possible, eat organic when you can and keep reading those labels. Knowledge is power! Power to the people!